Earth Day is coming up on Monday, April 22nd and there are a host of celebratory activities planned in and around DC both before and after the big day. Here's a list ...and a link to just some of the events that are planned!
· From April 1st through April 30ieth, Union Station is hosting Earth Month 2013, a month-long event designed to raise awareness of environmental issues and encourage sustainability. This event is in lieu of the usual Earth Day event on the National Mall.
· On Thursday, April 18th from 11am - 6pm and Friday, April 19th from 9 am to - 6pm the EPA will host a National Sustainable Design Expo on the Mall between 13th &14th Streets. College students compete their green innovations for the EPA P3 Award while the EPA will sponsor hands-on activities for all ages including a National Sustainable Design Expo which will showcase efforts to protect the planet.
- On Saturday, April 20ieth from 11am-2pm, check out Earth Day Party for the Planet at the National Zoo! Learn about green design in the the zoo's exhibits and buildings, along with efforts to conserve water and energy, and reduce waste. Bring along a cell phone to be recycled, and learn how to make biodegradable plant pots!
- On Saturday, April 20ieth from 9-12, the Anacostia Watershed Society is organizing a river clean up at various locations along the river. DDOE will be at 575 Oklahoma Ave NE. Entrance from Benning Rd and Oklahome Ave NE, RFK Parking Lot access to Kingman and Heritage Island. There’s a celebration from 12-2pm at Bladensburg Waterfront Park, 4601 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg, MD 20710. The Anacostia needs our help, so plan to join this fun cleanup!
- On Monday, April 22nd from 6h30-8h30, DC will be kicking off the Sustainable DC Initiative at Luke C. Moore High School, 1001 Monroe St NE, Washington, DC. There are bikeshare stations located nearby on Monroe St, or you can take the Brookland Metro, or Metrobuses (80, G8, H8). RSVP here to attend the Sustainable DC Implementation Kickoff!
- On Tuesday, April 30ieth from 6-8pm, DDOE is hosting "EnergySmart DC", a Public Information Meeting at the District Architecture Center, 421 7th St NW. DDOE is developing a Comprehensive Energy Plan - EnergySmart DC – which will outline energy goals for the next ten years. Five minute speaking slots are available but limited, so reserve yours by April 22 by emailing email@example.com.