Monday, July 8, 2013

A Natural Mosquito Control that Works!

A friend of mine posted this "natural" mosquito control recipe on Facebook, so I tried it out.  Guess what?  IT WORKS, and it's VERY easy to make.  Try this:

  1. Take a 2 liter plastic soda bottle and cut it in half.
  2. Dilute 1/4 cup of brown sugar in 1 cup of hot water.  Pour this into the bottom half of the bottle.
  3. Add a tad (less than 1/2 teaspoon) of yeast to the mix.
  4. Invert the "neck" half of the bottle into the bottle base (so it acts as a funnel).
  5. Tape the two pieces of the bottle together and wrap dark paper or fabric around the bottle. (Mosquitoes are attracted to darker colors). 
  6. Place to the bottle a few feet away from the space you want rid of mosquitoes.
You can also use a 1 liter plastic bottle.  Just cut the recipe in half.

I've tried this concoction and have found it to be very effective in controlling mosquitoes.  I've heard that it will work for up to two weeks, but I've been dumping mine out just to see my "catch".  In addition to mosquitoes, I've caught many gnats and some sort of large beetle.  It's so effective that I've decided to only put the bottle out when I'm entertaining as I know insects in general are a vital part of our ecosystem.  But if you're overrun by mosquitoes, try this...and let me know how it works for you!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing these article..i am glad that i have found your blog, its been a big help..

    mosquito control pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete