Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How To Start a Recycling Program

Maybe...just maybe one of your 2014 resolutions was to be greener and to recycler more. We'll January is well underway, so it's time to put that commitment into action.  So how do you do it? Most folks who read this blog are already doing a lot of household recycling, upcycling and freecycling, so what's next? Why not expand your efforts - to your neighborhood, workplace or school.  Even if your workplace/school already has a recycling program, there's always room for expansion as more and more products have a viable recycled value.  Here are a few ideas:
  • Start your own mini recycling program at work for batteries, corks, Brita filters or such.  To do this, just send an email to colleagues/neighbors/students telling them that you'll be recycling these items and let them know where and
    My Office Door
    when to drop them off.  Leave a dedicated box on your front porch or in your office, workplace kitchen, etc for these items.  I have a bag on my office door for recycling energy bar wrappers, Brita filters and corks. (wrappers are sent to Terracycle, while Brita filters and corks are recycled at WholeFoods).
  • Recruit others to commit to recycling other goods to create a "recycling circle" and spread the fun.
  • Meet with the Facilities staff at your office/school to urge them to create/expand their recycling services.  The days of only recycling paper are so 1990s.  My workplace recycles all plastics, foil, paper and composts!  It's doable!

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed, I have to say. Actually barely ever do I experience a site that's both educative and entertaining, and permit me notify you, you may well have hit the nail on the head. Your notion is excellent the problem is anything that not adequate folks are talking intelligently about. I am extremely joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my find for something referring to this. moving box rental
    vancouver packing and moving supplies

    ReplyDelete