Friday, November 23, 2012

Cleaning Green Part 3: Moisturizer/Lotion

It's winter, it's dry, and my skin starts to resemble something between fish scales and chicken skin. It's not pretty, and I have to use a moisturizer daily. For the last few years, I've been searching for an enivironmentally friendly moisturizer. I tried shea butter, but I just don't like the smell.  Then, a couple of months ago, I was at the DC Green Festival and I came across the Dr. Bronner's booth....and I think I've now found the solution. (ok, roll your eyes because I'm going to promote yet another Dr. Bronner's product to solve a problem).

Dr. Bronner now makes fair trade organic virgin coconut oil!  It's great as a cooking oil, but it's also a great moisturizer.  The oil absorbs into your skin quickly, so while it smells great as you apply it, you don't go around smelling like a coconut all day.  You really don't!  I bought a jar for about $11 at my local "Yes!". I think you can buy it at Wholefoods as well. To boot, it's sold in glass jars that helps me lower my plastic footprint.....and I'm not slathering a bunch of chemicals on my body everyday...just some natural and good smelling oil!  I really love this stuff...and it leaves my skin feeling very soft.  As it's hard to get my fingers into the jar, I just scooped out a few spoonfuls and packed it into plastic tub with a lid that I had.  I've also got a jar in the kitchen for cooking. Give it a try!....and stay tuned over the next weeks for my eco-friendly present ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment