Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summer Reading for the Recycler: "Plastic Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can, Too"

One of the blogs I followed it Beth Terry's "Plastic Free Life". It's a great blog, that is informative, humorous, and practical.  Beth explains in lay terms (well, as "lay" as you can get when you start talking about plastic chemical compounds) about why and how we should get plastic out of our lives - for health as well as environmental reasons.  She's now written a book - "Plastic Free" which puts all this logic into a pleasantly readable and compelling format that's fun and informative to read.  You can even order it in plastic-free packaging, or download it onto your e-reader.  Beth realizes that while it's impossible to rid your life of plastic, you can makes some changes that will reduce your consumption, and your carbon foot print.  I found I already do many of the things she suggests (clean with baking soda and vinegar and make my own yogurt and hummus), but she's given me some sources for some products that I currently buy in plastic ..and some ideas for some products that I can easily make myself. Rumor has it that she'll be coming to DC for some speaking events this fall.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment